Monday, February 25, 2013

The awful truth

I guess I'm just not able to gather my own thoughts these days, but Faith over at the Pickle Patch seems to be finding them just fine.  Here's another great one.  I borrowed (stole, I guess) her title, The Awful Truth (go read it...) because it is. It.  Is.  Just.  That.  It's Awful.

My favorite part is the last paragraph, so I'll quote that here. But know that I about feel exactly like how she expressed her reply to her husband's invitation to a dinner out.  To a "T".  When you're tired, busy, feeling overwhelmed, sometimes responding - in any fashion, let alone positively! - is a herculean effort.  And I had my fourth child over seven years ago!  (Uh oh, I'm comparing... see my previous post about fairness.)  Anyway, thank God for His grace.

And I’ve learned that the only way to avoid guilt over my own imperfections and anger over the imperfections of others is to embrace grace. Grace — a word overused so that its meaning gets lost — means “unmerited favor.” I am a bad wife, a bad mother, a bad friend, a bad daughter, and most days I don’t deserve the love of those close to me. But they — husband, children, friends, family — somehow love me anyway. And when they don’t love me perfectly, the way I want — because they, too, are imperfect — that’s when I need to remember that I believe in a God who has the grace thing perfectly covered.

No comments: