Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Grace in the Little Things

At present, I have four wonderful kids, all of whom like to hear about God, all of whom ask good questions, and all of whom seem to enjoy learning about him, albeit to varying degrees.

But none would call themselves "believers."

Naturally, when you believe John 14:6 is true (that none come to the Father except thru Christ), and you love your kids, this makes you sad.

That said, they none of them have (per se) spat in His face.  I know we can argue all day that apart from believing in Him, we have all spat in His face.  I would agree.  But I'm trying to communicate a different idea.  So please hear what I **am** saying vs. what I'm not.

Salvation is a work of God.
I do believe there is black and white. You either do believe, or you don't.  And that belief comes from Him.

So what's all this "grey"?  (What grey you ask, I thought it was black and white....?)
The grey is what many of us see, looking back to the time before we were saved, to the time when some of us were seeking, but did not yet know Him; a time when we were asking questions, or when our hearts were strangely warmed; seeing a "process" that happened - that it is obvious God was working in us - before the "moment" we believed.

I am thankful for that time in my life.  I would have and did "spit in His face".... but he was indeed removing the blinders.

And I have at least two kids who I think may be in just such a process.  Possibly more (can't tell).  The point is, esp. the one, is asking great questions and wanting to know, to understand, to engage.  I think one in particular is really seeking.  And there is much grace in this for me.  Much.  I know it's not salvation; but it is heartwarming.  It is fun to talk, and to watch this child pursue, knowing it is God's work and not theirs.  Knowing it is His choice, yet not being deceived even for the desiring of it.

And this child was blessed by that of another, who thought to send a text message at just the right time to say they were missed.  It is amazing how that godliness -that selflessness and thoughtfulness -  of another touched my child.  Grace in the little things.  It shows how God is here, working and active.  Blessing indeed.

No comments: